Please check our calendar for available dates.
Always check before coming, as sometimes the fields get picked over for the day and need time to replenish.
Jollisant Farm is known for their delicious strawberries. But, did you know we also grow fantastic blackberries? That’s right! Come to our farm and pick fresh, all naturally grown blackberries for you and your family. As we like to say: “Better than candy is organically grown, pesticide-free blackberries”. Our blackberry bushes are healthy and beautiful. We take great pride and all we grow on our farm.
Here are some things to remember about blackberry picking:
- WEAR CLOSED TOE SHOES!
- Blackberries are usually available from April thru July and then again from September until November.
- You may want to wear a hat to cover the back of your neck as the Texas sun can be intense during those months.
- Be sure to apply sunscreen before arriving.
- Only select firm, fully blackberries. Don’t pick any red or green ones as they will be ready in a day or two.
- Blackberries can be frozen. Just wash and store in a freezer bag with as much air removed as possible.
- And, as a friendly reminder: No alcohol, no pets, no smoking, and no foul language allowed on the farm.
Fun facts about blackberries:
- There are only 62 calories in one cup of blackberries.
- Blackberries are rich in bioflavonoids and Vitamin C.
- Blackberries have been used to treat mild inflammation of the gums and sometimes even sore throats.
- There are 2000 varieties of blackberries found throughout the world.
- Blackberries are also known as brambles.
- During World War I, children in England were given time off school to collect blackberries for the production of juice that was sent to soldiers to help maintain their health.
With all that, on behalf of all of us here at Jollisant Farm… come on out! We would love to meet you.
See you soon!